SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE


For this challenge I thought I would try to reduce the amount of plastic I use. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while so this challenge gave me the kick to do it. I bought reusable freezer bags, beeswax food wraps, bamboo toothbrushes, and a picnic set of cutlery in a box to take to work for my lunch. 


I tended to use foil or plastic sandwich bags when taking lunch to work, so I thought the beeswax wraps would be a good replacement. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about them. The first use was fine; the wraps stuck to themselves so the food was protected. But they're not the easiest things to clean. The wax is sticky, so crumbs obviously stick to the wrap. But you can't wash them with hot water because it would melt the wax. After carefully washing them once, the sticky wasn't as sticky. I know you can re-wax them, so we'll see how that goes.


The picnic cutlery, again, is something I wanted to get for a while. I used to take my own cutlery to work, but in a plastic sandwich bag. I would reuse the bag until it was too stabbed with holes. But I wanted something I could reuse, and stop using plastic bags. The set comes with knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks, two straws, and a straw cleaner. There's no complaint with these items. And I'm happy that I'm not using plastic bags.


The bamboo toothbrushes are an interesting concept. I really don't like how much of our plastic waste ends up in the sea, destroying marine wildlife, and I know that so much will not decompose for hundreds of years (it will take 400 years for a plastic toothbrush to decompose!). However, a plastic toothbrush can last for a few months before needing to be replaced. And I found that the bristles on my bamboo toothbrush started to splay out after a couple of uses. The pink brush (below) lasted about 3 weeks. I then got another one out of the box (the white brush below) and even after one brush, the bristles have gone a bit weird.



Comments