Day 108

TV CRITIC



I'm always dubious of 'remakes', especially when it's something that enjoyed in the original. Although I didn't see The Addams Family TV show when it first came out in the 1960s (I wasn't alive!), I own the DVDs and really enjoy it. And one of my favourite films is Addams Family Values - I can pretty much recite the script word for word.


So I wasn't 100% sure when I saw that Netflix was making Wednesday; I didn't know what to expect. However, the fact that Tim Burton had a hand in this, with trusty musician Danny Elfman, it was sure to be good. And Christina Ricci has a part in the show too.

In the first episode, 'Wednesday's Child is Full of Woe', Wednesday finds her brother, Pugsley, tied up in his school locker. She discovers that a group of 'jocks' did this, so takes her revenge by putting piranha fish in the pool where these jocks are swimming. She is then sent to a boarding school as punishment, and it is here where we see just how strange and unusual Wednesday is. 

The humour is dark, the cast is great. It definitely has the Tim Burton stamp on it. I can't say that I'm enamoured by Wednesday. She seems a bit too evil, compared to her previous counterparts. She also has some sort of supernatural power which allows her to see things that have happened as well as things that are about to happen. 

The first episode has done exactly what first episodes should do, and left the viewer with many unanswered questions which draw you in to watch the next episodes. I like it. It's familiar but also new. I'm going to keep watching.

WRITE EVERY DAY


GOOD HABITS

Teeth.

Comments