Day 60 & 61

Day 60

FITNESS



SELF CARE

06 - PAMPER

I’ve been getting my eyebrows waxed once a month for a few years now, and also get a back massage. I wasn’t able to go last month so my eyebrows were proper caterpillars! The massage is part relaxing and part painful (but in a good way). She certainly gets her elbows right into the tough bits!




GOOD HABITS

Teeth.


Day 61

CRITIC


Yesterday, my other half and I went to see Arthur Smith at The Bear and Bells in Beccles. I’ve only been to a handful of comedy shows, and am never sure what to expect. Arthur Smith was brilliantly funny, but he should be - he’s been in the business for over 40 years. Watching him took me back to my childhood watching classic comedians on The Royal Variety Show. He threw out funny one-liners, knock knock jokes, and an array of “a man went to the doctor …” jokes. But my favourite part of his set was his poetry. He gave us a rendition of “If” by Arthur Kipling, ending with the line “You will be a van my son”, as well as a deliciously tongue-twisting adaptation of a Shakespearean soliloquy, where most of the words had been replaced with British town and city names. Frustratingly, he performed these poems too quickly, so you couldn’t really absorb everything he was saying, but they were fantastic nonetheless.


He was supported by three other comedians, and there was a compare who introduced everything. First up was Ross McGrane. I quite liked him. He told stories about his family and how he and his wife were from two different social backgrounds. He’s working class and she’s middle class. Coming from a working class background myself, I could understand his frustrations about never going to Center Parcs as a child. I’d always wanted to go but my parents could never afford it. However, this was a regular holiday for his wife when she was younger. As an adult, Ross went to Center Parcs with his family and he realised what an expensive waste of money it was. I still have yet to go to Center Parcs.

Up next was Alexis Roy. I quite liked her too, but her set was very much rehearsed. Now, I’m certainly not going to criticise her for that, because doing comedy is one of the bravest things anyone can do and I certainly don’t think I could do it. She was funny, but I felt that it was too scripted and not relaxed enough. And she did compare having a favourite Wetherspoons to having a favourite STI. I do have a favourite Wetherspoons. It’s Colchester. 

Steve Whitaker was the last of the support, and he was my type of comedian. I absolutely love one-liners. Milton Jones and Tim Vine are amazing at this. They’re so straight faced and quick witted, and Steve Whitaker was just the same. His jokes were fast and punchy, and yes a lot of them did make you groan, but I loved it.

And finally was the compare, Kai Barron. Sadly, he was not my cup of tea. He spoke for a few minutes before and after each comedian, to try and hype up the audience. But I didn’t find him funny. He told one good joke about Philip Schofield claiming he’d not had Covid-19, but he had had Michael, 15. Topical and true. But other than that, I didn’t enjoy his parts in the show.

Overall, I had a really good evening. Lots of laughs and groans. A fab atmosphere in the back room of a pub. This is a monthly thing, so will certainly look at who will be appearing at upcoming gigs.


SELF CARE

01 - Bath Time

Today I put a bath bomb into my bath. I’ve used bath bombs before but haven’t been overly excited by them. Perhaps I should try the ones that have a hidden surprise inside them … like the white cloud that dissolves to leave a rainbow, or or the shark that slowly has blood seeping from its jaws! Anyway, this was just a glittery pink and white one. It sank and fizzed and there were a few bubbles, before it turned my bath water a pale shade of pink. When I got in, I noticed just how glittery the water was. Sadly, the aesthetic was the best part of it. It didn’t really have a nice smell, and other than the colour, it didn’t do any to the water. I enjoyed watching the sparkles but that was it.




READER

Page 220 of The Cult by Abby Davies.

Read Rhyming Christmas by Bob Hartman.

CRAFT


FITNESS

I’m a little bit annoyed because I’m still having to do planks as my hoop still hasn’t arrived. I checked ebay and it should be here by 9th October. Although I’m improving with my planking time, I’d like to get back to hooping. I’m also annoyed because I normally do the planks followed by squats (for my Good Habits badge) and today I forgot to do them. I only remembered once I was in the bath. Never mind!


Extended arm plank (+4seconds)


Forearm plank (+3seconds)


Knee plank (+2seconds)



GOOD HABITS

Teeth.

Comments